Seeing the running of the Boston Marathon has been high on my to do list since moving here. Finally, we got it done. This morning, Charlie and I hopped on the T with hundreds of other Bostonians and headed to the Kenmore stop, approximately mile 25 on the 26.2 mile course. We got there early enough to see all of the winners come through. Completely inspiring.
Charlie and I set up just east (I think - directions are hard in Boston!) of the city's famous Citgo sign.


Since we got there so early, we had a lot of time to amuse ourselves. When climbing on the barriers got old, I turned to hot chocolate and donuts to keep up our energy level.


Just as we finished our donuts, the runners started streaking by. When American Kara Goucher ran by, in the lead at mile 25, the crowd went wild chanting "U S A!". She ended up coming in third.

Kenya's Salina Kosgei (far right) beat her countrywoman Dire Tune (center) by only a stride - it was a sprint to the finish that we, alas, were too far away to see.

The men's winner - Ethiopia's Deriba Merga.

The wheelchair racers were awe inspiring, but nothing beat this guy - he was probably less than a half hour behind the winner.

"Goooooo Runners! You have to win!" was Charlie's constant chant.
No comments:
Post a Comment