Sunday, December 04, 2011

Backing Up - Charlie (and Chris and Uncle Chris and Grammy) Pet a Dolphin

Do you know who has the coolest job?  Dolphin trainers and caretakers.  And, I can actually say this with authority as we had the rare privilege to hang out with one a few weekends ago.  The lovely Barbara (gf to one Uncle Chris) has a high school friend who is a trainer at Brookfield Zoo, and we got to participate in the dolphin show, hang out with the dolphins after the show, and then have a backstage tour of the trainers offices, the kitchens, etc.  It was amazing, and I can't believe that I haven't blogged about it until now!

First fun thing - Charlie got to be one of the kids during the show who gets to do "mirroring" with the dolphins.





Even cooler?  GETTING TO PET THE DOLPHIN!  Chris, Charlie, Uncle Chris, and Grammy (who was visiting from Florida) all got to touch a dolphin.  I didn't dare let Juliet try for fear she's poke the dolphin in the eye or attempt to dive into the tank.



After the show, we hung out by the tank with Beth, the trainer, as she fed the dolphins ice cubes (like candy to them, she says).  Dolphin after dolphin jumped up on the ledge next to her for a pat, a hug, a kiss or to just flirt with her.  We were so close that we could have easily leaned in to pet them as well (but we didn't, rats).



Last of all was a trip to see the back of the house operations.  The offices have windows into the tanks and the dolphins came by many a time to say hello.  The post-its on the window are targets for them to come and hit with their noses - which they did.




Who wants to go on vacation and swim with the dolphins?  I do!

No comments: