Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Girls Gone Wild - Spring Break 2011

Charlie, Juliet and I jetted to Delray Beach to hang with Grammy and Grandpa during Charlie's Spring Break. Chris, alas, had to stay home. We missed him much, but I had a fantastic time with my girls. It was an extremely chill week with at least two trips to the pool per day, a lot of good food and drink, and a little bit of beach time. One trip to the beach provided the only bit of excitement (and not in a good way) - read below for the story!

Day One: The girls got up pretty early. Much earlier than G&G (as Charlie likes to call them in her shorthand) are used to. Grandpa is looking a bit sleepy here!

Charlie takes A LOT of pictures as part of her normal daily activity. Vacation was pictures ten-fold. I dig this one she took quite a lot.
Showing her model pose with new sunglasses.
The golf cart! I swore that I would not let Charlie ride in it, but once I saw how sturdy it seemed, I changed my mind.
What Charlie is saying here is...I'm okay! I'm okay after being stung by either a jellyfish or, more frightening, a Portuguese Man of War. Charlie, Juliet, my Aunt Teresa (Dan and Teresa were in Delray for part of our visit - how fun was that?) and I were walking in the surf when suddenly Charlie called out in pain. We thought that maybe she'd just been hit by a piece of driftwood, but she was clearly in pain. And asking to go home.right.now.and.please.can.we.go.right.now.

We got her out of the water and decided to sit in the sand just to chill out a bit. I had Juliet sitting between my legs and just in front of us, I noticed what at first glance I thought was a plastic bottle and almost reached to grab it. But, as the waves washed in and out, it looked less like a bottle and more like...A MAN OF WAR! God lord, I nearly grabbed it (and subsequently had one sleepless night when I could not stop thinking about what would have happened had I or Juliet grabbed it). After seeing that, and having Charlie still complaining of pain, my dad took Charlie to the lifeguard station where they applied some ointment to Charlie's leg. Quickly, all pain was gone. While she was unwilling to go in the water again, we were able to stay at the beach for a picnic.

Totally scary tentacles all wrapped up in the seaweed




Not too traumatized, whew!

And, on another day, of course, Juliet needed to pose at Old Vines with her proud grandpa.
Whew, it was hot at the playground! But, Juliet didn't mind.
We took a trip to a wetland/forest preserve that we've visited many times. All of these pictures were taken by Charlie who is proving to have quite an eye for photography.



Our last night in Delray, we went to a wonderful dinner out where Juliet ate more than Charlie. This is becoming a trend. The girl will eat ANYTHING that you put in front of her. It was so blissful to sit outside along the inter-costal, drinking wine, and watching the boats with some really fantastic food.



On our last morning, we took one last trip to the beach to collect sea shells. We saw two Man of Wars, and thus kept to the sand and stayed out of the water.






Wonderful time - thanks Grammy and Grandpa! Until next year!

1 comment:

Kate said...

wow! I love the ocean and the beach, but jellyfish are the one thing that consistently scare me. Glad everyone's okay. We're headed to FL soon, and I will be on the lookout even more now!